Sunday, August 1, 2010

Birthday Run in UP

It's been more than a month ago since I last ran on the UP Academic Oval. Since my injury late last December, all my runs in UP have ended in disappointment as the all too familiar pain on the side of my knee would show itself midway into my first round. Today was different because for the first time in seven months, I left the place happy that I was able to run without any pain.

Thank you Lord for a great birthday gift.

It was just 2 rounds (approximately 4.4 km), but it's a start. The knee still isn't capable of going farther even if my heart and lungs appear to still be strong enough. Although I already noticed it before, I was reminded as to how different it is running on the road compared to running on a treadmill. The road isn't a completely flat surface and definitely requires more effort. Nevertheless, the road is so much more interesting than the treadmill. When I'm in the gym, I usually get impatient after around 20 to 30 minutes. On the road, I can easily entertain myself with the sights and people around me.

I want to run in UP again next week. Just 2 rounds at a time for now so my body can adjust properly. I would want to experience the pain ever again. I have to think long term.

No comments: