Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rainy Run for Cory

It shouldn't have surprised me that despite the rains this morning, the UP Academic Oval had quite a number of runners and bikers. Quite noticeable was the fact the many of them were wearing yellow.

While normally, I would go about my run minding my own business. Today, I found myself looking at the faces of the people I would meet. I still remembered the story Teddy Locsin mentioned during the President Aquino's necrological services when Mrs. Aquino admonished him to look at the faces of the people you're waving at.

There were some I Am Ninoy Runners this morning and on two occasions, I said hello even if I was sure we didn't know each other. And they greeted me in return. Was it that obvious that we were both dedicating our run to Cory Aquino? I'd like to think so.

All in all I ran a good 4 laps around the oval at my regular pace. At first, I felt a bit stiff, but then I got into the groove and started appreciating the rain and the UP scene. For some reason, the runner's high I felt was even better than usual. Perhaps, it was due the feeling of camaraderie with the other runners who had also dedicated their rainy Wednesday morning run to the woman who stepped up to bring us together and give us back our freedom.

No comments: