Monday, January 26, 2009

The PSE Bull Run 2009: Takbo Para Sa Ekonomiya

I was a bit turned off when I, along with my running buddies, registered for this run. We registered early to avail of the lowest rates then. Let's just say that the people in charge were not so nice and the singlets and bib numbers were not yet available so we had to. The singlets and bib numbers only became available the week before the race. Perhaps the registration blues should have warned us of what was to come.

On the day of the race, as expected, I noticed that a lot of runners had shown up. The portalets had long lines and the check in area at the starting line was really full. I ended up at the back of the pack because the middle and front areas were so cramped. The 10k race started on time, but I walked for the first 40 seconds after the bell rang.

On the first kilometer, I found myself trying to make my way to the middle of the pack. I found it a bit tiring just weaving in and out trying to pass runners. Something was wrong. I didn't feel as strong as a felt during the UP ICTUS Run. Nevertheless, I maintained my pace, which I felt was somewhere around 5:30/km. It helped a bit that I tried to take deeper breaths.

I think I stopped to walk around 3 times on the way back just to catch my breath. I was pushing it a bit because I was targeting a 3-minute improvement in my time.

When I got to The Essensa, I quickened my pace and made it a point not to stop. But then, as I turned the corner to the finish line, there were 2 long lines of runners waiting for their turn to cross. I quickly joined the nearest line, but then I noticed that the runners there had red bib numbers (the 5K bibs!) so I moved to the next line at once. By then, around 7 or 8 runners had already moved into the line before me. I looked at the time on the finish line: 57 minutes. The time on my stopwatch was still at 56 since I started it as I cross the starting line.

I started wondering to myself. How will they know exactly when I cross the finish line? What could be taking such a long time? I heard from someone that they would adjust the time. How? What would be their basis?

It was a good run actually. I just wanted to make a strong finish, but then I couldn't. I'll always remember this race as the one that was "bitin".

To the organizers of this race, I hope it will be better next time.

No comments: